Hey there! I’m Emily, a 19 year old part-time Instagrammer/blogger, full time college freshman and I’m most likely writing an English paper right now. My Instagram account, @blueeyedbiblio, of over 123,000 followers inspired me to start this site so I could talk more extensively about what I love the most…books! I’m not very good at talking about myself, but I am good at lists, so here’s a list of things you should know (or might like to know) about moi:
- I’m a bit of a nerd (okay, that’s way of an understatement, did you even see my Star Wars Christmas sweater?!)
- Harry Potter is my #1 fave, which seems like a pretty pointless thing to say these days because pretty much everyone knows that, but you don’t know me so. Anyway. HP 4ever.
- Parks and Recreation is my favorite TV show, and it’s, like, almost a problem how much I love it. I haven’t been able to start a new TV show since I watched Parks for the first time in 2014. (actually, I did just watch Master of None the other day, which I really liked, but I feel like that’s cheating since I only watched it because Aziz Ansari is in it..). At any given point in time I’m rewatching one of the seasons. In fact, I’m rewatching season 6 right now. If you know all the words to 5000 Candles in the Wind, we can be friends.
- My other favorite TV show is Will & Grace, literally the only other show I watch besides Parks but basically no one my age even knows of Will & Grace…
- One of my only other hobbies besides reading is photography. And not just because I have a successful Instagram account–I do actual photography, too, and I love it. I used to want to be a photojournalist for National Geographic and low key still want to be.
- There’s another fun fact: I want to have like 7 different careers. I hate that school is so expensive and you can kind of only go for one thing. If I could have multiple careers, I’d be a photojournalist, an archaeologist, a special-ed teacher, and do something in publishing.
- For now, I’m aiming to do something in publishing. Maybe social media (since I’m good at it), or editing, or maybe I’ll be a literary agent. I just know that I would love to be surrounded by books for a job.
- As I mentioned, I am a freshman at college/university. I go to Denison University in Ohio (USA), which is one of the most flat, corn-and-cow-filled states in the great MidWest. I think it’s a hilarious state but I don’t want to live here forever.
- At school, I’m an English major and I’m probably going to minor in Spanish. I’ve been studying it since 2nd grade, so around 13 years? I’m not fluent, but if your first language is Spanish feel free to comment in Spanish and I’ll reply with the same!
- I’m probably going to move to New York City once I graduate from school since that’s where all the major publishing houses are, plus I’m obsessed with NYC. I visited for the first time February of 2015 and I haven’t changed my phone background from a picture of the Empire State Building from the Top of the Rock since. It’s been 11 months. You’d think I’d let it go but….nah.
- I aspire to be a mixture of Amy Poehler, Emma Watson, and Hannah Hart.
Okay, enough of those bullet points. I’m planning on using blueeyedbiblio.com for many reasons. The first reason is, of course, to talk more extensively about books. I show pictures of my current reads and book hauls on my Instagram account, but it doesn’t leave too much room for a lot text. I know some people leave super long captions, but I find myself barely reading long captions so I hardly expect my followers to read super long captions on my photos. So here I am. I’ll be posting long reviews, short reviews, discussions about specific books I’ve read. I’ll give recs and show you guys what book I’ve bought recently and as well as ones I’ve gotten rid of. I’ll basically be talking about anything that has to do with books and my reading, but not exclusively. I have other interests besides just reading. They’re basically all nerdy things, but things I would like to talk about just the same. So this will be a blog that talks about books. But it will also be a blog that talks about whatever is on my mind.
Because of my awesome Instagram and my awesome followers, I’ve gotten to do a ton of really cool stuff this past year. Here’s a list of those cool things:
- Featured on Instagram blog
- Featured on Instagram’s Instagram account
- Wrote article for the Seventeen magazine website: 17 Books Every Girl Should Read Before She’s 17
- Wrote (another) article for the Seventeen magazine website: 10 Books to Read When You Need a Break from Schoolwork
- Named one of the Most Badass Teens of 2015 by Seventeen Magazine
- Featured on the Seventeen Magazine website
- Featured on Huffington Post
- Had my own listicle on Buzzfeed
- Quoted in a Vogue article
- Had my own spread in the Seventeen print magazine, October 2015 issue
- Interviewed on Stylecaster website
This year has been so great, and I’m looking forward to seeing where this all brings me in 2016.
If you have any other questions about myself, you can tweet at me or leave a comment on one of my posts!